Elixir Software Engineer
Company Name: ZOLA Electric Company Location Lagos, Nigeria
ZOLA Electric (formerly Off Grid Electric) is the leading renewable energy brand in Africa, helping customers to light their homes, power small businesses, stay connected and expand opportunities for work and study.
We are a growth-stage start-up that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa with clean, affordable solar energy.
ZOLA Electric combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid.
We are looking for a Backend Elixir Software Engineer with strong experience in this capacity.
If you are successful, you will play a critical role in our strategic plans for growth and will be an integral part of the Product team.
This is your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge, experience, passion and skills to transform the renewable energy landscape.
You’ll need to be ready to tackle the unique challenges that come with working in an emerging market and building a truly epic business.
The company was founded in 2012, and investors include Tesla, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, Helios Investment Partners, EDF, Total, and GE Ventures.
ZOLA Electric is a recipient of the UN Momentum for Change Award, the Zayed Future Energy Prize and is a member of the Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit www.zolaelectric.com.
The Elixir Software engineer will play a critical role in designing and implementing enhancements to our cloud-based IoT infrastructure.
The position will involve working with our Hardware and Software teams and external partners to integrate, monitor, and control a large set of devices in concert.
- Design, implement and test software systems to coordinate a fleet of devices in a challenging communication environment, via existing IoT communication platforms implemented in Elixir and Phoenix.
- Work with our hardware team to define and implement a set of protocols and APIs to achieve the coordinated behavior goal
- Assist in prototyping and simulation work as part of R&D projects
- Implement interfaces necessary for operation and debugging of the system
- Working with teams across continents, time zones and companies
- Create documentation and help define technical requirements
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of professional work experience as a software engineer
- 2+ years of experience with Elixir or other functional languages
- 2+ years of experience developing large-scale web applications using a framework such as Phoenix or Rails
- Experience with software architecture, databases, distributed systems, data access, web APIs, etc.
- Excellent technical documentation / communication skills
Experience with the following is a bonus:
- GraphQL APIs
- IoT applications and networks
- AWS cloud (ECS, S3, RDS)
- Control systems
- Optimization and simulation
- Energy, computer software and related industries
- Interest in international development and social positive impact
- Self-motivated and creative thinker
- Enjoys collaboration, has strong communication skills, and is able to work well with a team in person or remotely
- Planning and Organizing Skills
- Time Management Skills
Preferred locations are Lagos, Nigeria (virtual)/ Denver Colorado(Onsite) although this role can be fulfilled on-site and remotely.
We have offices in East Africa, West Africa, Europe and the western United States. You will need to be available for working meetings and collaboration with colleagues in these locations / time zones.
Interested and qualified candidates who meet the above criteria are welcome to apply. visit www.zolaelectric.com.