As majority don’t know squint eyes or relate with someone having the problem. We can said a squint eyes and also called strabismus, is always the eyes point in different directions, and this normally do occur with children, and age is not affected as it can occur at any time.
When looking at the eyes of the person that have squint eyes, you notice that one of the eyes may turn in, out, up and down while the other eye looks ahead.
Squint eyes is not permanent as it may happen all the time or it may come and go. If proper treatment is not done, it can lead to further problems.
Many people think that squint is a permanent condition and cannot be corrected. But the truth is that eyes can be straightened at any age.
The most questions is that what causes it, Is it by birth, accidental, hereditary. But according to reports from eye experts, explain that it arises due to an incorrect balance of muscles, refractive error, childhood illnesses, nerve palsy and several other reasons.
The different kinds of squints eye
The different can come in many ways with terminology depending on the directions of the turning eye. Here are the kinds.
- An esotropia is an eye that turns in towards the nose.
- On the other hand, an eye that turns outwards is called a exotropia.
- Hypertropia describes an eye that turns upwards.
- An eye that turns downwards is called hypotropia.
Major causes of squint eyes
Report says the exact causes of a squint eyes is not always known, because some people develop it and while some born with a squint, it at times run in families.
In children, a squint is often caused by the eye attempting to overcome a vision problem, such as:
- short-sightedness – difficulty seeing things that are far away
- long-sightedness – difficulty seeing nearby objects
- astigmatism – where the front of the eye is unevenly curved, causing blurred vision
While rarer causes of a squint eyes include:
- Developmental delays
- Cerebral palsy
- Some infections, such as measles
- Some genetic conditions or syndromes, such as Down’s syndrome
- And other problems with the brain or nerves
Anytime a squint eyes problem is affecting your children, kindly go to hospital to get advice. Because any more delay could hinder the child eyes from getting better.
Treatment of squint eyes
When referring to main treatments for a squint eyes are;
- By glasses
- Through eye exercises
- Injections into the eye muscles
If your child has a lazy eye as a result of their squint it may need to be treated first.